Thursday, July 19, 2007

MAN OVERBOARD!

I'm trolling for large- mouth bass on a lake somewhere in northern Minnesota.
Two lines are in the water and the chop is fairly light.
Suddenly the outboard dies; water begins to come over the transom. I'm wet and the boat is sinking.
Then, miraculously, the engine fires and I'm once again trolling the lake. I bale the remaining water.
The scenario repeats in a nightmarish loop.

I awake and realize that I'm okay. Dry in my California bed and not lurching toward a watery grave somewhere in the wilds of Minnesota.
I also become aware of the fact that my wife is snoring.
Does Linda sound like an Evinrude Troll-O-Matic, or the 25hp Mercury from my old Lonestar aluminum runabout?

Exhibit A-Evinrude




Exhibit B- Mercury



I'm going to do some more research on this. Frankly, it's disturbing that I have lost my ability to ascertain the very real difference between the two outboard motors. Perhaps I will take a tape recorder to bed with me tonight.

On second thought...Forget I ever brought this up. If Linda gets word that I have even thought about confiding this, well, I may not see the sunrise.

In fact, fighting for my life while trolling for bass in northern Minnesota is starting to sound pretty good to me.

I wonder what they're hitting on tonight?
How about passing me a sandwich and your best lure.
The tape recorder goes in the drink!

No comments: