Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm NOT wild about Harry





What the hell are "Deathly Hallows"?
Didn't I have that in the service?







After nearly forty years of having a radio show there are many things that I miss now that I no longer have one. The primary hole in my existence these days is having a ready outlet for the bubbling cauldron of weirdness that seeps into my melon on pretty much a twenty-four hour basis.
This blog helps with that.
HOWEVER...There is one giant burden that has been lifted from me. I now relish, and I do mean absolutely relish, the fact that I am free at last from the drudgery of faining an interest in popular culture. God, I hated faking that! It was the bane of my broadcast existence.
Many program directors sucked down Maalox and ripped out what hair they had left trying to impress upon me the importance of "relating" to the audience.
Well...Excuse me, I just never cared. I might have been dangerous if I actually had liked most of the music I was promoting. I didn't. My tastes run to obscure traditional jazz acts and funky hillbilly tomes dedicated to achieving the good life through the power of Miller High Life. You know...the stuff that doesn't sell.
It's a curse and I know it.
I would sooner spend the afternoon sitting on the air hose down at the Texaco station than watch American Idol or read one of those damn Harry Potter books. (Look, I know that Ms. Rowling has made about a gazillion dollars writing that crap. But, come on!)

So, here I am not reading the new Harry Potter and probably not watching any TV shows that everybody else likes---but that's the way I like it. I did accompany Linda, a former librarian that happens to live with me, to Costco yesterday so that together we could fight for a copy of the new Harry Potter. In fact, she's reading it now. She is a far more pleasant an agreeable person than am I. I'm sure she'd be willing to loan you her copy when she's done.

In the meantime, I'll be at the Texaco sitting on the air hose.
I appear to be a couple of pounds low.

No comments: