Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dumb Dads Count Too!

Father's Day is Sunday.
It's another one of those Hallmark holidays that guilt trip people into recognizing friends or relatives that probably don't deserve it. Some do...but lots don't.
My dad and mom earned every bit of thanks and acknowledgement my brother and I could ever give them. Our antics wrinkled their brows and turned their hair white way before nature dictated.
I, on the other hand, had it easy.
For merely conning their mother out of a good night's sleep, I have been issued two wonderful daughters who have caused me very little grief. In fact, I recall NO major meltdowns or "how could you do this to me?" incidents during my watch. Probably their mother took care of the tough stuff. All I know is that I enjoyed a carefree run as "Dumb old Dad" for longer than I had any right to expect.
Both girls have done well as adults too. Kelly, the oldest, is a playwright and director who has her own internationally recognized theater company in New York. The youngest, Katie, is a prosecutor in the San Diego DA's office who specializes in sending bad dads to jail.
They make me proud to be their Old Man every day. Also, they accomplished the impossible by marrying guys I genuinely like and admire.
EVERY day is Father's Day to me.

Okay...there is one thing that I would like for them to work on.

I have got my Grandpa chops just about perfected. You know...pulling money out of various body parts; making noses disappear, arm farts...the whole routine.

Girls...get to work, before I lose my edge.

No comments: