Friday, June 1, 2007

Al is back...It MUST be Summer





Al catching some rays and some bugs




There he was...right on schedule.
The alligator lizard who lives in my backyard, (I call him Al because he looks like an Al), made his appearance yesterday just like he does every year. It's always late May or early June when the patio achieves that just right temperature that the old veteran reptile shows up by the back door.
He's a little heavier this year. Must have really pigged out prior to that hibernation thing. Well, what's a guy gonna do when the bugs are plentiful and juicy?
We exchange pleasantries. His wife and kids are doing fine, as are mine. He's a little miffed about all this global warming nonsense and wonders just what the hell the big deal is. Frankly, he tells me, he has always been a little chilly.
Al wonders where my woodpile went. He spent some wonderful afternoons in its shade while he scoped out the latest crop of San Elijo bugs. I remind him that the winter was cool enough to require a few fires in the fireplace this year and that, sadly, the wood is no more. He is fine with that, but cautions me to order a cord before summer is over so that I can get a good price. (I wonder if Al was a wallet in a previous life?)
Anyway...It's good to have the old boy back. I know that I can count on him spending time with me most every afternoon from now until late October. We'll enjoy the fact that neither one of us has ever had to put up with a real job, although I would quarrel with him regarding my time in the Army, and we'll bitch about the Padres lack of a "heavy bat" who can drive in some runs. Other than that, we're pretty much into carrying on with our pursuit of perpetual adolescence.

Al is a perfect low maintenance pet. I've had dogs and have endured cats for my daughters, but Al is my favorite. When the day is done and his belly is full of bugs...he goes home. He doesn't come inside. He also doesn't poop on my lawn...
At least he says he doesn't.






1 comment:

Chris Carmichael said...

Al for president. He believes in summer warming.