Friday, June 22, 2007

Did Someone Say "BLUE BUNNY"?


Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!



"And we're having Blue Bunny", my sister-in-law exclaimed.
Now, Bre, my brother's wife, is young enough to belong to a different generation than Linda's and mine. So, for a minute or two I attempted to fire an alcohol charred synapse or seven but nothing was happening.
B L U E B U N N Y...something from Hefner? No, no, let me think...Blue...Bun...Oh, wait!! Ice cream! That's it! Ice cream from my yesteryears it was. Wells Blue Bunny ice cream from LaMars, Iowa! Yes, I remember it now. It was that frozen slice of heaven that I once handled as I sacked snacks and sustenance for the snores who patronized Swanson' Superstore on the Miracle Mile in Spencer, Iowa once upon a misspent youth. If I recall correctly, it was just about the ONLY ice cream available in Northwest Iowa in those days.

Well, here's the deal. Apparently Blue Bunny ice cream has become something of a dairy icon of late. I'm not sure if it is because of a scarcity factor or some rural/urban legend, but it seems to have achieved the kind of status once reserved for Coors beer in the 60's and 70's. If you recall, in those days, it was difficult to find Coors anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains and until Coors embraced national distribution it was considered a "mystical golden elixir" by brew hounds of every stripe. Now, of course, it is recognized for the bunny piss it always was.

Where was I? Oh yes... Blue Bunny ice cream. It really IS delicious! At least I thought it was as I enjoyed it for the first time in years when Bre served it to me.
I have checked out their website and note that they have added lots of other tasty treats to the basic ice cream line-up. And, it appears that they have a dandy ice cream parlor you can visit in LaMars if you happen to be in the area. I am already making plans to call "The Skipper" to suggest a rally at the Blue Bunny plant where we can happily eat our way into an ice cream coma. It would be an inspired follow-up to last year's tour and pig out at the Spam museum in Austin, Minnesota.





"Hey kids, it's chock full of fatty goodness!"






I think I'll try the chocolate. It sure looked good on my nephew Walt.







Walt slipping into ice cream coma...




No comments: