Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Come for the SLIDERS...Stay for the ANGIOPLASTY















A $4 Trip to Heaven (as seen on TV)





When I was growing up, adventures did not take place in Mom's kitchen. I love her, but Mrs. C. thought "spicy" meant adding a little black pepper to something and a real gourmet moment might feature some form of cheese that was not Velveeta. It wasn't her fault. She is a Midwesterner through and through and still does not embrace any desire to indulge in "fancy" foods like fish or anything that is not meat and potatoes. Also, the fact that she was often busy telling my brother and I to: "Wait until your father gets home!", may have taken something away from her culinary game.

My brother Steve and I, though perfectly willing to gobble up all the groceries the folks could afford, often spoke of wanting to try some "weird stuff" if the opportunity ever arose. For years I imagined that a shrimp sandwich, just shrimp on bread with a little mayonnaise, sounded like a little slice of heaven. I promised myself that this would be one of the first items on my dream food list to debut in my mouth just as soon as I was on my own. Years later when I was married and living in Florida I bought some beautiful shrimp right off the boat and made my first shrimp sandwich. It was even better than I had imagined it would be! I was on my way to Foodtown!

Over the years I have sampled nearly every special food I've hankered for, including: raw oysters, snails, all kinds of sushi and sashimi, deep fried Twinkies and Snickers bars, and.....they were ALL better than I ever dreamed they would be!


But now...just when I thought there was not another punch left on my life's food ticket, it's here.
Ladies and gentlemen... I give you...THE DEEP FRIED SLIDER!
I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. I must have one NOW.
One small problem. They are only going to be available at the minor league Gateway Grizzlies ballpark in Sauget, Illinois and , dammit, their season hasn't even started yet.

Mmmmm. Burger, cheese, onions, all battered and deep fried.
Honey, get the airlines on the phone...and alert my cardiologist.



2 comments:

Mike said...

Then you HAVE to try Carl Jr's "Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich"!!! Once I saw the add and the two young guys gulping down the good stuff and slurping on their cokes, I had to have one (damn the cardio). AND IT WAS GREAT.

Chris Carmichael said...

I bet a new team mascot could be named. Cardio, the greasy spoon. Or, why not Lard Ass! Soon, I expect to see Deep Fried Sh*&.