Friday, November 23, 2018

Thankful? You Bet!



Yesterday, when you're supposed to at least give some serious consideration to your good fortune, I confess to being caught up in an orgy of gluttony and sloth.  After adding considerable ballast to the ever expanding life ring around my waist I took smug delight in watching the Saints smoosh those upstart Atlanta Hawks on national television.  I had been avoiding the NFL this year but it just isn't Thanksgiving without watching a Lions defeat and, since the TV was on, enjoying the Saints strut their stuff in the land of red beans and pinball machines.  I love New Orleans and do believe the Saints are going all the way this year.  Who Dat??

Today I'm taking a pass on Black Friday.  It's no fun to shop this early and frankly I prefer to be one of those last minute desperadoes who is out there throwing elbows and punches when there's real panic in the streets on December 24th.  Hey, I'm an adrenaline junkie!  So today, as I clean my house for company, I've been going over all of the many blessings that have come my way.

First of all, though it's embarrassing to discover the extra ten pounds of fun fat that has somehow found a home around my equator, I'm sure as hell happy not to have joined the ranks of the morbidly obese.  It's a real eye-opener to see all of my fellow Americans who have simply decided to say "screw it" and buy the sweat pants.  Maybe we should all have a salad now and then instead of the deep fried Twinkies and double cheese pizzas. You're not "big boned", you're "big intestined."

I'm grateful I lived through some of the stunts pulled by my testosterone poisoned pals and me  in high school and college; also for the fact that the Army needed my combat readiness to defend Kansas instead of Vietnam.  That state remains commie free to this day!

Thankful doesn't begin to describe how wonderful it was to have a career that was never really a job.  Being on the radio was something I loved and, in spite of working for a few asshats, there was never a day I didn't enjoy showing up.  The fact that there was no heavy lifting, plenty of air conditioning and no dressing up required was icing on the cake.

Friends, old and new, are more important with each passing year.  Those I once took for granted I now consider rare treasures and try to treat them as such.  I'm especially grateful to a woman with a very big heart who, having also lost a spouse, thinks I may be salvageable.  She enjoys housing restorations and knows that a 70 year-old (going on 15) male tear down is her greatest challenge.  I'm lucky she's willing to try.

Now, where are those leftover sweet potatoes?   NO diets allowed until after New Year's day.

No comments: