Friday, September 29, 2017

A Visit From The Planet Energy

The kid will turn eight in a couple of weeks and I still tell him he is my favorite grandson.  I've been telling him that for at least as long as he has been on the planet and I await the light bulb moment when he realizes that he is my ONLY grandson.  That will be a watershed moment in his young life.  He is here in north Idaho with his parents for an autumn vacation.  His folks took him out of school for a week which means he has been assigned homework by his teacher to insure he keeps up with the class.  I note with interest that he loves to read but absolutely hates doing any math.  The apple does not fall far from the grandpa tree.  "Put a dollar sign in front of all those numbers and that'll make it more interesting", I offer as encouragement.  So far, it doesn't appear to be working.
Oh well, there is always cowboy or circus work.

It's such a cliche to complain about how kids can wear you out, but they DO!  After a week long visit from my grandson, Dan, it becomes crystal clear to me why we have children when we are young.  A normal day in the life of a seven year-old requires more energy than grandpas can produce on any kind of consistent basis.  I'll need a couple of weeks and a nap or two just to get back to my old self.  (Operative word: old)



Gramps and Dan hatching a plan to snare the 'rents.

The fur babies in the park like him.

"Come down here and get these nuts!"

Two guys up to no good

Dan and his mom ready for a boat ride

He's a Pirates' Booty junkie.

A nice quiet moment with his dad on the lake.

Oh sure, he gets to nap on the way home.

Looking for crime to fight!

"Beware evil doers everywhere!"


"Yes, this book is far more interesting than talking to adults."

No comments: