Friday, June 19, 2015

Thanks Girls!

You made it easy.  Granted, I probably wasn't Father of the Year material, but, with more than a little luck, we all made it.  Your mother didn't kill me and both of you girls became successful in your chosen professions and married guys I actually LIKE.  All of this in spite of my untutored and unconventional parental guidance.

Hey, in my defense, we didn't know what we were doing.  Practically children when we married, your mom and I hauled you into the world before our union had lost that new car smell.  We were complete novices and in hindsight it's probably close to a miracle that we (Okay, I) didn't mess you up monumentally.  You really were troopers through it all, far more flexible than boys would have been.  All the moving that was part of the radio business, the odd family  hours we kept because daddy had to get up at 3 AM, and the multitude of "interesting" friends who always seemed to be around seemed not to bother you at all.  You both made the best of an often chaotic existence and I'm proud of you for it.

Maybe if we had waited and been more mature parents with traditional occupations your formative years would have been a little easier.  Who am I kidding?!  That would have been leagues less difficult but, I dare say, not nearly as much fun.  Maybe it's just selective memory but I do think there were a lot of laughs in our house when you were little.  The thought of returning home to you every evening became my safe harbor in a life dependent on a check from one of the most insecure professions on the planet.  You kept me sane.  Granted, sanity is relative when it comes to Dad but you catch my drift.

So, on this Father's Day weekend I thank both my lovely daughters for being such good kids and making me look as if I had a clue.  Growing up I had no sisters but you two helped to fill some of the massive gaps in my understanding of the fair sex.  Your mom knows I still have a long way to go, but in another hundred years or so I'm certain to be a regular Oprah.  Well, at least I'll weigh as much.

I'll close by saying that even though we're miles apart you can always rely on old Dad for the sage advice you've come to depend on through the years: "Better check with mom."  That's it.  That is all I'll probably ever have.  Now, who wants to pull Daddy's finger?




No comments: