Friday, February 6, 2015

To Listen to This One…Everybody MUST Get Stoned



We appear to be living in an age of stupefyingly bad ideas:  Our current Commander-in-Chief (don't get me started), reality TV shows, net neutrality,  McDonald's "Pay with Lovin'" ad campaign, and our indecipherable tax laws for starters.  However, nothing could top the absolute dumbest idea ever, Bob Dylan releasing an album of Frank Sinatra songs.
No, Really.

"I did it my way."
This steaming pile of cow flop is called "Shadows in the Night" and is the single most godawful toilet worthy effort ever recorded, which is really saying something for a Dylan project.  Not only does this no talent Minnesota mewling mutt bring zero interpretive ability to this collection of fine lyrics he also manages to make the aggregation sound like a combination of your cat in heat and a backed up garbage disposal. Holy crap, IT'S AWFUL!
One saving grace lies in the fact that Dylan has chosen no real Sinatra signature numbers for this audio spittoon.  The tunes are mostly "B" sides from the Sinatra songbook but they do manage to contain a buttload of  hydrogen sulphide.  Don't believe me?  Check out a sample at Amazon and go screaming into the night.

What old Robert Zimmerman (Dylan's real name) has managed to accomplish is no less than the creation of the single worst album of all time.  Some of my old radio pals argue that this isn't so, reminding me not to forget Pat Boone's effort to cover a bunch of acid rock ear offal a few years back.  And, never to be forgotten,  that idiotic William Shatner assault to our musical senses from the days before he needed a girdle.  NOPE, I say this thing is definitely THE WORST.

Remember any of these beauties?





And so many more…..

Payola, of course, doesn't exist.  The music industry and broadcasters have too much integrity to take money for promoting audio barf bags like "Shadows in the Night".  (Okay, that's a lie.)  But if they did, there is not enough jack in any bank to get this junk on the air.

Well, maybe.  I do have my eye on this boat…NO, not even for that!

There is one thing you can take to the bank.  When Dylan catches the big bus to that recording session in the sky Ol' Blue Eyes will be there with a very special 45 he'd like him to hear.


"Bobby baby, I heard what you did to my material and I'm gonna stick this in your ear."


No comments: