Friday, December 26, 2014

Shooting Saddam


Somehow, and I consider this a very lucky somehow, my family and I have had an amazing run of really great neighbors.  Almost without exception all have been delightful wackjobs with interesting life stories and occupations.  A standout in the bunch is Dennis Lynch.  Dennis, his wife Meredith, their kids, the unforgettable Elvis the cat, and two exceptionally stupid beagles named Bucky and Betty  were our nextdoor neighbors for eight years during the late 80's and early 90's in Encinitas, California. There was a well worn path between our houses that offered mute testimony to many shared barbecues, cocktails and bust-a-gut laughter.  We had a blast and have remained friends over the years. 

Like me, Dennis put up with the vagaries of life in the broadcast business.  He primarily worked as a freelance much in demand cameraman who ultimately wound up in harness at Court (now Tru) TV.  He was on the road almost constantly as he covered everything from the O.J. trial to the televised courtroom dramas of Michael Jackson, Robert Blake , Scott Peterson and assorted other dirtbags.  His ribald and snarky after the verdict stories were never disappointing.

With the advent of email Dennis began to, mostly out of boredom, compose daily missives detailing his adventures in court with these many and varied sociopaths and would post them to his friends.  They were hilarious and I wasted little time forwarding them to others I knew who would appreciate his vicious insight.  The response was almost always, "this bastard should write a book!"

And, now he has…
Dennis Lynch
It's a fantastic inside view of the trial of everyone's favorite commando clad camel humper the dimwitted despot,  Saddam Hussein.   This book is not only loaded with a ton of information you never heard about the Baghdad D-bag but also contains loads of inside humor that will have you wondering where this smartass California camera guy has been all your life.  Reading Shooting Saddam is like having a couple of pops with a very entertaining nextdoor neighbor.  (I think I know what I'm talking about here.)  After finishing the book I now wonder how difficult it would be to get Dennis and Meredith to load the van for Idaho.  There aren't too many books about snow, moose hunting, and huckleberries let alone anyone who could make them funny.  I think I'll work on making that happen.  Surely California and "Moonbeam" Jerry Brown have just about worn them out.

In the meantime, BUY THIS BOOK!  It's easy to download from Amazon and I'm fairly certain your doing that will go a long way toward helping Dennis forget that I accidentally moved his two good rakes and very cool riding lawnmower to the Great Northwest.

"I'm ready for my closeup, Dennis."


No comments: