Friday, January 10, 2014

Hang A Star On This All Star

"And you'll be working with Jerry Coleman the former Yankee.  He does sports at 4:30 and 5:30 on your show."  This was being said to me in a bar by the nicest man in radio, Jerry Jackson, the manager of KOGO in San Diego.  Jerry was in Tampa checking out my morning radio program on WDAE and had just offered me the afternoon drive slot on KOGO.  Unknown to me he had been in town for a week listening to the program and had decided to give me a call to see if I was interested in moving west.  I was.  He sprung the Coleman feature on me as we roughed out a deal on a cocktail napkin in a Clearwater Beach saloon.  I was somewhat aware of Jerry Coleman from his days in pinstripes but as a longtime fan of the Detroit Tigers I had hated everything even remotely connected to the Bronx Bombers since I was in fourth grade.  The Yankees had ruined my childhood!  The Tigers were always out of pennant contention by July Fourth and the Yanks never seemed to miss getting their ticket punched for the Fall Classic.  Jerry Coleman?  I guessed that would be okay.  He was, after all, the play-by-play voice of the Padres and KOGO was the team's home station.  I had no idea I was about to meet one of the finest men of the Greatest Generation.

My first day on the air in San Diego was in August of 1976 and, shortly after getting the first hour of the first day out of the way,  into the studio strolled Jerry Coleman with a Padre cap and some Padre paraphernalia for my kids.  I have no recollection of what he said but do remember that he made me feel right at home and that he was glad we'd be working together.  He was one of those guys that you take to from the handshake.  I liked him immediately.  The two years we had together before the Padres, and Jerry, left for another station in the market, were a couple of the best years I had in the radio business.  We saw each other nearly every afternoon unless the Padres were on the road and Jerry would do his sportscast from another National League city.  Each day as he ended his reports he would lock out with, "for KOGO sports I'm Jerry Coleman and once again here's my good friend, Ken Copper."  It warmed me to hear it and I hoped he meant it because I sure thought of him as a friend--a good one.

Jerry has been on my mind a lot the past couple of days.  He passed away on Sunday from injuries  suffered in a fall at his home in La Jolla this past December.  He was 89.  
I don't know why but I always thought he would be around forever.   More than a few folks felt the same way.  He was Superman!  A scrappy poor kid from San Francisco who, in spite of a rough home life,  made the big leagues with no less than the  New York Yankees.   He was also a decorated Marine colonel who flew over 120 combat missions in two wars--World War II and Korea.   A Hall of Fame broadcaster with the Yankees, Angels,  Padres, and CBS radio,  Jerry is also enshrined in four other halls and, if they had one, he'd be front and center for the Good Friend Hall of Fame.  
Two Distinguished Flying Crosses, 13 Air Medals, 3 Navy Citations
Baseball fans often speculate just how great Jerry's career could have been had it not put it on hold for WW II and again for the Korean War.   As it was he played on five World Series champions, was the American League rookie of the year in 1949, World Series MVP in 1950 and an American League All Star second baseman several times.

Jerry Coleman came to San Diego in 1972 to become the voice of the Padres.  He stayed for 42 years.  It was a perfect fit.  The fans loved him and the fact that San Diego is home to such a large contingent of Naval and Marine personnel became icing on the cake for a decorated combat veteran who neither smoked or drank and maintained his Marine fitness regime until the end.

Jerry Coleman, even more than Padre great Tony Gywnn, was Mr. San Diego.  He came, he saw a lot of bad baseball and whenever the usually hapless Pads managed to dazzle him with their play he hung a star out the broadcast booth window as he exclaimed, "Oh doctor, you can hang a star on that baby!"


Jerry's credo was simple and elegant.  Often he said, "There are only two important things in life: the people who you love and who love you, and your country."

A gentleman, husband, father, all star broadcaster, Hall of Fame baseball player and loyal friend, Jerry Coleman's was truly a life to HANG A STAR ON.
Rest easy Colonel, your country thanks you for your service.







No comments: