Friday, August 2, 2013

Old Friends and New Talent

Among the good things I took from my time in the Army were, not necessarily in this order, an appreciation for green clothing, firearms, delightful and delicious C rations, and some one of a kind pals.  Ed Aymar, whom I met when we were in signal school at Fort Gordon, Georgia, is one of the best.  For reasons I failed to understand at the time Ed made the Army his home for thirty years and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.  He continues to this day working as a civilian satellite guru at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.  As a taxpayer I appreciate the fact that we have at least one squared away patriot looking out for us in the nation's puzzle palace on the Potomac.  

Ed married a wonderful woman, Ilse, when he was stationed in Panama and they produced a son, Ed junior.  I haven't seen young Eddie since he was about 15 and knew only that he had graduated from  George Mason University, gotten married,  and had been working at CSPAN.  I had no idea that he was also a writer.  Not only is he a writer but a scribe in the mystery/crime genre, my favorite.

I have long been a fan of wordsmiths like John D. MacDonald, James Lee Burke and Lawrence Block, and now:  E. A. Aymar.  He is new and he's good…very good.  I have been reading his When the Deep Purple Falls, which is available free on his website at: eaymar.com and am excited about the publication of his new book, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, due out this fall.  

It's refreshing to know that new talent is emerging in the world of crime fiction and fun to be able to say "I knew him when".  If you like noir, you should treat yourself to a cyber stop at eaymar.com and sample the free online Deep Purple  as it offers a new chapter each week.  Then,  get ready to snag a copy of I'll Sleep When You're Dead when it debuts in a few weeks.  It will be available at Amazon and all the usual locations.  For more details, check Eddie's website.  I have a feeling he'll be keeping readers entertained for a long time to come.


No comments: