Friday, June 1, 2012

Mattress Polo Anyone?

The ad caught my eye immediately.  Let's face it, a picture of a good looking woman in her undies engaged in a pillow fight is enough to interest most of us in possession of a Y chromosome.  Two women and a pillow fight-- even better, but I digress.
"Remember mattress sports require a cup."
No, this newspaper ad in the sports section of my local paper, natch, was promoting neither pillow fighting nor underwear.  It was just another of the endless parade of commercials aimed at men of a "certain age" who want to remain heroic in the sack.  They included:  pills, shots, drinks, and a ton of other "therapies" created to shake money from the pockets of the aging and insecure male.  These products all seem to emphasize the importance of "being ready" when the fire is out of control and the hook and ladder truck is required .  These companies are America's new favorite source of grandma abuse.  (Nobody bothered to ask women of a "certain age" if they had any interest in stoking grandpa's furnace.)

Like I said, the ad caught my attention.  As my eyes left the latest Padre box score, (not so hard to do these days), I began to more closely examine the pillow wielding wench and her sparing partner.  Instantly I cringed as I checked out the location of her left knee.  OUCH!! Baby, PLEASE!
This photo could not be real!  Either the guy in the shoot had been gravely wounded or the picture had been photo shopped---by a woman.  Whatever the case, I think the folks in the creative department missed something.  They have essentially defeated the entire purpose for which their product was created.
"Eat me big boy."

Wait a minute.  Maybe somebody DID talk to grandma!  Perhaps gramps would be better off just getting a good night's sleep.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No comments: