Friday, February 11, 2011

Super Fans Should Take The Money And RUN!

Now they want to sue.
The hard core Super Bowl fans who got rooked out of their seats for the big game by a probably over zealous Dallas fire marshal now want to sue the NFL for breach of contract.  The 400 people relegated to watching Green Bay and Pittsburgh bash each others brains in for football's penultimate prize had to watch on big screen TVs in standing-room only locations around the stadium. They are not at all pleased with the NFL's offer of a ticket to next year's Super Bowl and a cash payment of $2400 or a ticket to ANY future Super Bowl and round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations.
COME ON!!
What the hell is the matter with these people?  First of all, who relishes the thought of being crammed into a seat amid thousands of liquored up, overweight, sweaty football fanatics (especially Texans) just to sort of enjoy a limited view of what is usually a fairly boring game?  These morons should take the money, use the freebie airfare or hotel chit and then scalp the complimentary Super ticket and use the additional cash to have a good time in whatever metro wasteland the NFL is trying to screw next year.

Granted, I view this whole scene with a jaundiced eye.  I'm a baseball fan who can't wait for Spring training to begin.  Football is something I follow with the same level of interest I gave high school Geometry;  that is to say, not much.  I half way watch a game or two every Sunday during the regular season but, unless the 49rs are hot, I can be net surfing or reading a magazine while the action is underway.  Probably the Chargers have made me this way, thank you Dean Spanos and A.J. Smith.
Comparing baseball to football is the equivalent of comparing chess to "go fish"and Charger football is simply fishing without a worm on your hook.

This year the Super Bowl held NO interest for me.  Both teams were favorites of former bosses of mine so the level of hate I have for the Steelers and Packers pretty much has no bounds.  Sort of like the anti Wil Rogers I "never met a boss I didn't hate".  Starting in November, I carefully screened any phone call that might involve a Super Bowl party invitation.  Why do people insist on have those damn things anyway?!  When Super Sunday arrived I, for the first year EVER, watched not a single down of the game.  Linda and I drove downtown to meet a nephew who was in San Diego on business; picked him up and went to dinner.  Not only did we have no trouble with traffic, we got caught up with Steve while enjoying attentive service in a nearly empty popular restaurant.  No reservation?  No problem.
On the quiet drive home I promised myself this wouldn't be the last time I took advantage of the SUPER diversion provided annually by the NFL.

God, I hope they don't strike this year.  
Tennis anyone?

No comments: