Friday, May 8, 2009

What's in a NAME?

The little kids across the street are named Ollie and Milo.
They're approximately three and one years old and are killer cute. My guess is that those names are popular again. It goes like that. Names that were a ticket to an ass kicking when I was a boy are now back in style. Ollie and Milo, like Floyd and Henry, were names of my grandfathers' generation. NOBODY who was born in the late forties or the fifties carried those monikers. We all had names like Bill, Bob, Chuck, David and Steve. The girls were Linda, Susan, Cathy and Kathy. My handle, Ken, was like many names "sort of" popular but never able to break into the top ten no matter what generation. I consider that a bonus. Under the radar inoffensive names are a kid blessing.

Names are on my mind lately because we have a grandchild due in the Fall and if life has taught me anything it is that Johnny Cash was definitely onto something with his song, "A Boy Named Sue". Names are often destiny. Every kid with a "get tough or die" name knows this. My father was christened Hubert Eugene Copper. Naturally his first words were, "Call me 'Cop".
Geezus! What were his parents thinking??!!
Well, having known them as Grandpa and Grandma, I know that they were taking care of all the Copper namesakes with just one kid. His brother was "Bob", but my dad took one for the family team as "Hubert Eugene". I don't know about you, but that move, like a ripe diaper, smells of child abuse to me. He became "Cop" to everyone who valued their life and wanted to keep their teeth. His sons were Ken, not Kenneth, and Steven Ted, not Steven Theodore. We owe him for that.

My son-in-law, Doug, is insisting that the new baby, if it's a boy, tote the middle name of Danger. He reasons that it makes for a dynamite pick-up line for a young man to be able to drop, "Danger is my middle name" on an impressionable young female.
I agree wholeheartedly and endorse the choice. My wife and daughter remain skeptical, but in time will come around. It's SO cool I can hardly stand it!

First names?? Well, that is up to Katie and Doug. I know they will settle on a good one. I'm just hoping that it isn't one of those non gender specific goofball names like: Scout, Wingspan, Rumor or North Dakota. However, Lugnut or Spam could grow on me.

Interesting names like Tuesday have a way of working out.




Maynard, seems like a ticket to Loserville.





All Barneys are fat morons.





Chatsworth Osborn would doom the kid to a career in Polo and a childhood
of running for his life.




The kid isn't due until October, but we'll know the gender by June 2. The four months lead time should render a sock-o name for the youngster. I'll be in there battling for the little nipper.
Grandpa knows best!
How do the names "Stubby" and "Gooby" grab you? Or, if it's a girl..."Shuggah Free"?

No comments: