Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ahh...The Wonders of a Midwest February


People in the Midwest will tell you that they like living there because they love the changing seasons. "I don't know how you stand to live in a place like California where the weather is pretty much the same ALL the time," is a constant refrain.
(Cool and classy winter scene shown above shot somewhere in America that is NOT the Midwest.)
Once a year, usually in late Summer, I start to think that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to return to my roots in the "Heart of America". What could be so bad? A brisk breeze and a light dusting of snow might very well be refreshing...And then I go to Illinois in February!
"Son of a bitch!!! What was I thinking??"

Illinois in February has all the beauty and charm of a meat locker. My God...It is not only colder than a mother-in-law's heart, it's also like living inside a black & white TV from the 1950's. There is NO color, and it snows a lot. How could this be my native soil??!!
I was born here. My mother still lives here in Springfield; my brother and his family are nearby, but it sure doesn't feel right for me. I get the feeling that I got out just in time. I'm definitely a palm tree and sunshine kind of guy. California may be broke and inclined to tax the bejesus out of everyone and everything, but I'll pay the price. No more snow and gray skies on my calendar if I can help it. If that makes me a candy ass, so be it. I did my time!
Oh...the one neat thing about a February getaway to the charms of the Midwest: both of us caught a cold.


I've got the Theraflu, Zicam, and good cough medicines lined up and ready to go. It's time to get an "over the counter" load on in good ol' Southern California.
Party starts right now!




No comments: