Sunday, November 25, 2007

Like so much cotton candy...

Somebody had the TV on in the locker room at the gym today. Come to think of it, the damn thing is usually on and tuned to something so incredibly stupid it hastens my shower and egress to the parking lot. It must have been one of the more gifted members controlling the tuner on this Sunday after Thanksgiving because there was actual NEWS on the box for a change. As I was dressing I heard a reporter intone from somewhere on the frontier of journalistic commitment that "There are nearly five million people airborne today as they return from the Thanksgiving holiday."
FIVE MILLION fellow humans jammed into those increasingly sticky and dirty sky coffins we are forced to use if we want to get to our respective destinations in a timely manner? WOW! All I could do was feel good about NOT being one of them. What a miserable way to spend a Sunday.
Remember when it was a BIG DEAL and somewhat glamorous to fly? You dressed up, looked forward to a restaurant quality meal, weren't frisked like a common criminal and most always got to your destination on time.

My kids began flying as babies. On the other hand, I never traveled by plane until I was nineteen or twenty. It was a memorable trip that expanded my small town Midwest being by not only giving me wings but also providing me my first look at the Pacific Ocean and a palm tree. Heady stuff that I thought at the time would be something I would look back on "through the mists of time" as I grew old.
Boy was I stupid!
I remember it like last week! Life really is too short.

My Aunt Shirley, now somewhere north of eighty, told me a couple of years ago that she has never been on a plane. Odds are her meter will run out before that changes. She said that she just never wanted to try it. Maybe she missed the good years and some good times, or maybe she was just more prescient than the rest of us. Think about it the next time your wasting a day at the airport. "Time to spare? Go by air!"

Speaking of life being WAY too short...
The Chargers are on TV. Screw them!
I'm going outside.

No comments: