Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Radio Reprobate Reunion








(l-r John Emm, and local blogger. Check out Emm's new caps!)

"You look good," we both said in unison.
By the way, when does that start? The "you look good" thing, instead of "hi", seems to kick in sometime north of your fortieth birthday. Like it's some big accomplishment that you are still on the right side of the sod and capable of chewing your own food. (Come to think of it, maybe it is.)
It was my old pal John Emm, with his new wife Arlene, standing at my door. He did look great. The last time we had seen each other we were both fairly well tanked and had probably looked it. Now we were sober and both of our wives looked happy about that. With Arlene, John finally appears to have gotten the hang of marriage and Linda has always been the best thing that ever happened to me. (Did I get that right dear? It's sort of hard to read your writing.)

We spent this past Sunday afternoon comparing the condition of our hairlines, (he still has one), the size and condition of our prostates, (his like a bowling ball and mine roughly equal to the oil pan from a '53 Buick), and how hard it is to suck-in your gut these days. Also, the deterioration of the major league baseball strike zone and the lack of any good popular music in the last thirty years came in for considerable discussion. It was an afternoon to remember.

John reminded me of a few adventures that had been erased from my frontal lobe including the one involving us setting up a Mint Julep stand in front of Ginsberg's Dublin Pub during Kentucky Derby Day 1981. It involved the two of us mixing juleps and selling them for charity for $1.01. This promotion had sailed by radio station management because we were promoting the station's frequency. Can you imagine trying to pull this one today? Though neither of us could recall, we decided that the whole stunt got out of hand before the race even started. We also remembered that the cops were involved.

It was an afternoon that seemed far too brief. We had about seventy-five diet Dr. Peppers and it was just like old times. Even without booze. God, what a relief. I had hoped that we would still be good pals...and we were. Unlike some people, with John Emm it's not necessary to stir in alcohol to drink him interesting. He's a radio legend...and my friend.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good old John Emm...
Oh what wonderful fear and loathing memories of our misspent youth.

OK maybe John did finally "get the hang of marriage", but a gypsy once foretold that he will be married 5 times. Barunga Baranga!
Take care out there.

Joan Emm wife #3
(and maybe #5 heh-heh)
joanemm@live.com

Jeffrey Mark said...

HELLO KEN!!

It's Jeffrey Mark...you're warm-up act in the 5am hour. How the heck are you these days? We had chatted a bit on email a few years back. Man, I'll never forget the time on the air at 101 when you and Terri Cox came in the studio right when I was reading a live Delta Airlines spot. Gawd, who reads live spots on the air nowadays! The airlines were on strike and as I was reading the Delta spot, you yelled out, "fire 'em all!" Well, I lost it, cracked up...continued on reading the spot, saying something like, there are still seats availabe and you yelled out "no they're not - there lying." I quickly added, "c'mon Ken let me finish reading the damn spot...you know I've been up all night and I want to get outta here." Terri walks in at the moment, says "good morning, Ken, Jeffrey. You guys start chatting and I'm laughing so hard I was busting my gut...could not finish reading that spot. Emm walks into the studio spouting off the spouting that only Emm could do so well, and I ask Terri to finish reading the spot with me, so we read together, cracking up all the way. You and John were always getting me to lose it on the air. John once came into the studio and spread out on the floor...just laying there...I think he was hungover from an all night poker game. I used to give John a wake-up call at exactly 4am when I worked the overnight. He was the best, as so are you, Ken. You two made it so fun to work at 101, what an honor and a privledge it was to work at the station and lead into your show. I once cracked you and John up...it was 6am and John was ready for the news. I signed off saying I'll meet you guys later at Finks. You guys busted up and I felt like I finally got a good one in there.

Hey, listen, I'm rambling on. Would absolutely love to talk to you about the good ol' days at 101 when I was a mere lad of 24 and going to school to get my BA, which I did in 1981. Please get in touch with me - give me a phone call sometime. 510-761-1851. I'm still in Oakland. I'm trying to get back into radio again. I'm now a mere lad of 54 and it's time to do what I was always meant to do to be on the air and be the best damn air talent I can be. I gave up the business far too soon, but radio never left my blood. Ken, if you know anyone at any station in San Diego or LA or even up here in SF that I could meet, and you could recommend me that would be amazing of you to do so. Call me - let's talk. You were simply the best, you're a legend in my mind.
Take care, be well.

Best,
Jeffrey