Tuesday, September 18, 2007

On the road again...


Portland, Oregon



Been traveling...
It's one of those months. Out again for a few days and then October should be a month to hang around San Diego. Both of us had wanted to get to New England sometime this Fall, but it won't be happening this year. I really miss Autumn. Growing up in Michigan, I remember it as the best time of the year. The kaleidoscope of color in the trees; the smoke from burning leaves, and the delicious taste of fresh pressed apple cider from the the orchards that were everywhere live on inside me when pumpkins begin appearing in the grocery store.
Maybe next year.

I don't know about you, but every city I visit prompts me to consider living there for a few years. It has only occurred to me recently that the clock is running out on the opportunity for that to happen. Portland seems like a good city. Lots of bars, but that doesn't matter any more. Last year we were treated to blue skies and comfy temperatures. This time Portland reverted to form and offered a steel gray ceiling and a light mist. I was reminded of the year I worked in Seattle and why I vowed never to live there again. The Coppers require solar stimulation. Rain makes us crazy. Okay...crazier.

The reason for the Portland jaunt was to see an exciting new play that opens at New York's SoHo Rep this December. The show opened in Philadelphia; then segued to the West coast and has now begun its European tour. It is brilliantly funny and extremely profound. I can't wait to see it again in New York. If you get the chance, it's called "No Dice" and is the product of the writing and directing duo of Kelly Copper and her husband, Pavol Liska. They are the founders of one of the most heralded new theater companies in New York, the Nature Theater of Oklahoma.




"NO DICE"



You may have noticed that Ms. Copper shares my last name and concluded that perhaps there is a connection.
There is. She is my oldest daughter. And, after roughly fourteen years of struggle, she and her husband Pavol have become an "overnight success".

I couldn't be more proud.

No comments: