Friday, July 29, 2016

Gen Z Meets The Greatest Generation



Our daughter Katie and her family have been visiting this week and I'm happy to report there has been zero Pokemon Go nonsense attempted by grandson Dan.  He has been busy wearing out grandma and grandpa with swimming, boating, fishing and general horsing around that seems well suited to these long warm final days of July.  We can rest up next week.

On Sunday we had a visit from old friend Denny Krick, a California pal who now calls Seattle home. Denny is a World War II  Navy veteran looking forward to his 91st birthday on August 7.  He was on his way to Montana to see another mutual San Diego buddy at his summer home on Ashley Lake near Glacier National Park.  Denny is a remarkable guy and I couldn't let the opportunity to introduce young Daniel to a true hero pass us by.

Here is the shot I hope Dan can show his grandchildren when he is 91.  The generation that saved the world from the insanity of Hitler, Germany and the Empire of Japan is rapidly slipping away and will live on only in our history books and in the memories of those of us who knew them.  Now Dan has joined our club.  I hope he'll grow to treasure the day.
Denny and Danny


1 comment:

Lon C. Cooper said...

**I always enjoy your blogs; this one in particular caused me to think about remembering our "Greatest Generation". Both our fathers served during WWII, yours as a Naval Officer aboard a carrier, mine as a Radioman aboard submarines . . . both in the Pacific Theater. Both our fathers are gone now, my father passed away in 2004 while I was serving in Iraq. But my thoughts extended beyond that to remember each of my Uncles that served as well, and their stories they spoke of . . . all 7 Uncles. All gone as well. As a matter of fact, I do not know any surviving WWII veteran within my family, or a a member within a wide circle of friends, or their family as well. I know a few Korean War vets, but for WWII veterans it is sad to say that circle is empty. Only my mother survives, although she has trouble remembering yesterday. She worked in a canned food packaging facility in Lansing, MI during the early part of the war.
**So young Dan should be thankful to meet a hero like your friend as opportunities are rare to meet another WWII Veteran in the years ahead. For my grandchildren, ranging in age between 21 years to 4 months, I am fortunate to represent veterans serving in every U.S. military action from Viet Nam (68) to Grenada (83) to Desert Storm (90-91) to 3 tours in Iraq (2003-04, 2006-08, 2010-11). Missed out on Panama and Afghanistan, but they can catch it on the Intranet. Hope you and family are well.