Friday, April 29, 2016

Don't Bother Me, I'm Resting...


He's six years-old, which is precisely why he is inclined to bask in the approval I offer when he hears that he is my FAVORITE grandson.  It won't be long before the fact that he is my ONLY grandson becomes apparent and bops rain down upon my head from those inflatable boxing gloves he presented to me a couple of years back.  The gloves were a birthday present as I recall and were offered as a way for the two of us to pretend to be Rocky as we slugged our way to the championship.  The problem is:  the kid got good at it.  These days I hide the gloves when I know he's coming.

We hadn't seen him in almost a year, not by design, but because of Linda's continuing recovery from cancer and a stem cell transplant.  It was shocking to see how much he had grown when his mom and he showed up for a long weekend visit.  Kids hate it when adults do the "Look how much he has grown" routine, but we couldn't help it.  I'll bet he is at least a foot taller than the last time we laid eyes on him and wonder if the altitude grandma and grandpa have lost may have found its way to him.

We had plenty of fun last Friday through Monday and then they were gone, back to San Diego and busy young lives.  Just as it should be.  With luck, there will be no more long stretches between visits. Once her doctors clear the runway for travel, Linda and I plan to make up for lost time.   However, right now we're still resting up from a visit from my FAVORITE grandson, Dan-the-man.


Cue the Rocky theme.  It's time to knock some sense into  gramps.

The squirrels in the neighborhood are still asking for him.
The kid discovers grandpa's pool table. Uh oh.

Perfecting his game

Taking grandpa's last dollar.  Who taught this kid to play?!

1 comment:

Nephew Ken said...

Ken, thank you for sharing this.