Friday, September 30, 2011

Hey, a Kid Can Dream...

The Yankees ruined my childhood.  No, really they did.  I was a die hard Detroit Tiger fan in the 1950's and early '60s just like all my grade school pals in southern Michigan. Everyday players such as  Frank Bolling, Al Kaline, Harvey Kuenn, Charlie "Paw Paw" Maxwell, Coot Veal and pitchers like Jim Bunning and Frank Larry were my guys.  I had all of their ball cards and followed them via the radio broadcasts of George Kell and Ernie Harwell on WJR.  

EACH year was going to be "the year" that the always underestimated Tigers were going to go all the way.  Heck, there weren't that many teams to beat in those days.  But always there was the hated YANKEES.  The New York Yankees--the guys in pinstripes, big city boys with their big city ways, who always seemed to own first place in the American League by Memorial Day.  The Tigers, more often than not, possessed the deed to the cellar 
before May made an appearance.  It made for a long Summer but we Tiger fans were always certain that a blockbuster trade or similar miracle was moments away and our dedication and love would be reciprocated.  Wouldn't it??


Well, maybe today the tide turns.  This afternoon the Tigers are visiting Yankee Stadium for the first game of the American League divisional playoffs.  (Divisions??  We didn't need no stinking divisions in my day!)  Maybe today the Tigers finally begin to dispatch the hated Bronx Bombers.  Maybe in three straight?  Okay, perhaps in four?  WELL, I just hope that in the end justice will prevail.  Certainly God is a Tiger fan.  
Sure the Yankees have more bats and a better bullpen but...well, the TIGERS ARE DUE!
I wonder if "Yankee Killer" Frank Larry is still alive and available for a start?  And, now that I think about it, to help with some relief work it would be nice to resurrect the lefty-righty combination of Don Mossi and Ray Narleski.  That would be perfect.  Those guys always looked like a couple of small town undertakers which, truth be known, is probably what the Tigers are going to need.
Here's hoping...


TIGERS SI!   YANKEES NO!

1 comment:

p lewis said...

The Tigers AND Lions are looking good this year! I was raised in San Diego: Yeah Aztecs, Chargers, Padres!!!
I moved to Michigan for graduate school, couldn't get into the big cats. But I read you blog because Cindy said it was good, I read while drinking my coffee in the AM waiting for Cynthia to wake up, I enjoy your blog.
You are an excellent writer! Keep it going, Ken.
Pat in Carmel V alley.