Friday, July 2, 2010

It's A Kick In The Grass???

Is this thing over yet?
World Cup soccer action resumes today after two blissful days without my local sports page informing me of the latest snooze fest from Cape Town.

Okay...I'm old, but dammit soccer is one boring game.  If it weren't for the hysterically bad acting that the slightest  injury inspires, this game would boast all the excitement of a day at the DMV.
I've tried, well not that hard, to get into it this year since the U.S. seemed to have a chance.  We all know how that worked out.  So, who do I root for now?  Paraguay?   One of my sons-in-law is from Slovakia and is a soccer fanatic but that team pulled up lame a couple of rounds back; so nothing there.  What is an aging American boomer to do?

I know that I reside in the U.S.A.'s most soccer friendly major metropolitan market.  San Diego has delivered the best domestic TV ratings for the World Cup throughout this year's competition.  Whether the good numbers are a result of our proximity to Mexico and a population that is thirty percent Hispanic, I don't know.  Maybe it's Southern California's strong youth soccer program that delivers the ratings punch.  I'll just add this one to the ever increasing list of contemporary phenomena that completely elude me.  It's a fact that I am outnumbered and embittered by it all.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be checking the TV listings for re-runs of those fabulous Olympic women's beach volleyball tilts.  Scantily clad babes bouncing on the sand...A GAME ALL REAL AMERICANS CAN GET BEHIND.
Pass me the remote.

No comments: