Sunday, April 6, 2008

Proxy THIS!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!
If you own stock, (and who doesn't these days?), each day's mail brings another annual report and proxy from at least one of America's finest companies. You know...those glossy expensive brag reports filled with pictures and incomprehensible figures tauting the many splendored accomplishments of said enterprise during the previous twelve months.

"Our far East division experienced a record breaking year for revenues this year and anticipates even greater success in '08." Blah, blah, blah...

After reading the glowing story of how much the company has done for the stockholder they then put the bite on you to vote the board of directors and corporate officers fat salaries, bonuses and stock options to show how much they are all appreciated by those of us lucky enough to hold stock in the company.
This is all well and good when the American and world economy is booming and any knucklehead can helm the everyday bastion of capitalism toward a banner year.

When a company's world is spinning in greased grooves and making me lots of money, (Okay, SOME money) I happily vote just the way the board of directors tells me to. Yes, yes, yes I check on all the proxies. I want to vote just the way the smart guys running this company want me to vote! Yes sir! Three bags full, sir!

Then, we experience a year like this one.
Each day I open my annual reports and proxies from all the rotten bastard companies that have done me wrong during the past several months. LOST my money mind you!
And...I HATE THEM ALL!
NO, NO, NO and again NO I vote on all their stupid proposals and stock options! And bonus???
You clowns want a bonus????
I got your bonus...RIGHT HERE!

So that is how I've been spending this afternoon. I've been voting NO and yelling "Up yours!" as I turn the pages of the flashy brochures of packaged lies these morons are trying to foist off on me. It probably doesn't do any good, but it makes me feel better.

The part that makes me feel A LOT BETTER happens in just a few moments.
Years like this...I open all of the annual reports to the page with the well posed pictures of the chairman of the board and the board of directors. Then I place them all face up in my driveway and back the car over them.

Several times!

No comments: