Tuesday, February 20, 2007

We've got Belgian Balls!

About two years ago, after tiring of mold and mildew at the beach, my
wife Linda and I moved into a home on higher ground in North San Diego
county. We love the place. It has lots more room than the condo near
the water and it doesn't feel soggy like the other place did. (We
actually had to install little heating rods in the closets at the old
digs just to keep the moisture in check.)

So here we are high,
dry, newly decorated and, oh yes...we have Belgian balls. They came
with the pool table that the previous owner tossed in as a deal closer
when we bought the house. The table is a dandy from Olhausen and the Belgian balls are from Aramith
, which I'm told are the best in the world. According to the brochure
that came with them, "they are recognized as THE reference of the
industry". Whatever that means.

For the first couple of months
we merely stacked stuff on the pool table and I began thinking of
possible suckers to sell it to. Neither one of us are much for games
and had long ago given up golf because it seemed to be too much
trouble. I had just wanted the damn table as a visible trophy of my
negotiating ability and prowess in the real estate game.

Then a
funny thing happened. Linda and I began playing pool. I can't remember
why, but we did. Now we play at least three games of eight ball every
night. We've decked the room out like a pool hall and even have our own
cues...with cases. It sucked us in and I fear we are hooked for life. I
hated geometry and felt lucky to get a D minus when it was forced on me
in high school, but those angles on the felt have got me in their spell.


It's
not a sport. We know that, but son-of-a-gun it's FUN and it feels
dangerous. George Carlin said it best: "Some people think billiards is
a sport, but it can't be, because there is no chance for serious
injury. Unless, of course, you welsh on a bet in a tough neighborhood.
Then, if you wind up with a pool cue stickin' out of your ass, you know you might just be the victim of a sports-related injury. But that ain't billiards, that's POOL."

So,
the next time you feel like trying your luck against a D minus geometry
student or like the idea of becoming the victim of a sports-related
injury, stop by our place. We're always open.

Bring your wallet.













No comments: