Thursday, February 22, 2007

Baseball and radio...Sweet Music

The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.

_
Hunter S. Thompson


I love that quote. The good doctor "Gonzo" was not unfamiliar with the business of amplitude and frequency modulation. It's an endeavor full of boozers, burnouts, and money grubbing degenerates who would back the car over grandma (twice) just to steal a quarter. People who can make even gypsies and carnies look good.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be broadcasters.

There is, however, one thing of beauty that is created every year by radio that should be considered its finest accomplishment. Radio was made for baseball, and viseversa. No other medium, especially TV, captures the essence and sheer magic of the game. It is a well dressed salad, a warm bed, a sensual massage for the ears. A top notch play-by-play announcer and a color man can paint an audio Mona Lisa for listeners on any given day of the 162 game season.

Part of the appeal of baseball audio is, I think, the great monikers of the game. My longtime radio buddy, Bill Moffitt, and I were speaking of this just the other day. Bill and I have toiled at three of the same radio stations and have often talked baseball. He asked me, "Where is Rip Repulski these days?" I have no idea what the former St. Louis Cardinal outfielder is doing or even know if he is on the right side of the sod. But, what a great name!

No other sport has names like: Sibby Sisti, Eddie Stanky, Eli Grba, Suds Fodge, Daffy Dean or Turk Lown. It just doesn't happen. And the beauty of baseball is that the great names just keep on comin'. Who can deny the elegance and grace of new guys with handles such as: Stubby Clapp, Homer Bush or Padre leftfield hopeful Terrmel Sledge? I certainly can't.

That's why I'm counting the days until I can catch that first Padre spring training game. Old friend Jerry Coleman, a true war hero and a beautiful man, will be painting a picture for me on the radio and I can't wait to start keeping track of those new hall of fame names.

Good-night Boob McNair...wherever you are.

No comments: