Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis is dead...and I'm not feeling so hot myself





Dick Nixon and "The King"

(If only Nixon had been a singing sensation and Elvis the Commander and Chief.)



How can thirty years have slipped by since Elvis grabbed the Big Bus to the great Up Yonder?
He changed everything for an entire generation!
Our parents hated him. Mayors of cities and men of the cloth were certain that he was the cause of juvenile delinquency, (Remember that one?), and was the gyrating genome of the country's headlong slide into sexual degradation.
To us, the cat was the essence of cool. He was the reason I bought my first transistor radio. In fact, now that I think of it, he was one of the primary reasons I got into radio. (The 1950's and 60's version of running off to join the circus.)
Damn it! It was all his fault! I just had to be on the air just to bask in the King's reflected glory. The son-of-a-bitch set me up!

I was on the air the when the"Elvis is dead" bulletin from the AP came across the wire. About the only good thing I remember from that day was that the program director came into the studio and said, "We're throwing out the format...it's all Elvis all the time until further notice.
I loved it.

When you think about it, things have been pretty much downhill ever since.

By the way...according to Willie Nelson, the King's last words were: "Corn?"

No comments: