Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Yawn.....

My cousin Bill, who lives in Las Vegas, has an entire room decorated with Chicago Bears paraphernalia. I think there's a Raiders room too. I know the garage is resplendent with Chicago White Sox crap. Hey, he's from Chicago and spent enough time in Northern California to drink the Al Davis kool aid.

No
doubt Bill will be sucking down a few cold ones this Sunday while his
butt is wearing a groove in his very fine official Bears Lazy Boy. I,
on the other hand, will be sailing on San Diego bay. I do this not as a
protest but merely as an expression of my disinterest in the whole damn
Super Bowl. Who cares? The game will probably be a blowout, ( it
usually is), and the half-time show will be stupid and unwatchable. I
have nothing against football. I actually watch most of the Chargers
games during the season. (With the Chargers, the post season is usually
not a consideration.)

I know that baseball is no longer
"America's Pastime"; football left it in the dust years ago. But, as
Harry Reasoner once said, "comparing baseball to football is like
comparing chess to "go fish". Football is a lummox, baseball is the good looking one. Baseball is the only game without a clock making it too slow for some, but a thing of beauty for those who understand its subtleties. It comes to us in the Spring fresh and new and, unfortunately, dies in the Fall when we need it the most.

So,
enjoy the Super Bowl if you must. I'll be on the bay taking comfort in
the fact that pitchers and catchers report to camp in a little more
than two weeks.
The Padres are due.

1 comment:

Mike said...

And so, (I'm almost afraid to ask) what do you think about NASCAR (stock car racing) which starts in about two weeks?