Monday, May 14, 2007

Off the top of my head...Here is my list



One of the great old movie palaces somewhere in the wilds of New Jersey








You didn't ask, but I was thinking about some of my favorite movies. Actually, what prodded my reverie was a conversation with a friend of mine. We started naming movies that we loved and wouldn't mind seeing again real soon.

Here, with brief explanation, are the films that immediately made the cut. I'm sure I'll think of more just as soon as I finish this but, for now, this is it:

(In no particular order)

1. "The Fisher King"... This one does a great job of capturing the "ridin' high in April; shot down in May" aspect of the radio business and it's a great story.

2. " Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"...A movie with an outstanding cast that made me laugh out loud throughout.

3. "Shakes the Clown"...The "Gone with the Wind" of alcoholic clown movies!

4. "Blazing Saddles"...The funniest of all Mel Brooks movies.

5. "Parenthood"...A fun movie that all parents can enjoy. The best line belongs to Jason Robards who, when asked when parenthood officially ends, says: "It's like your aunt Edna's ass...it goes on forever and it's just as frightening."

6. "A Thousand Clowns"...My all time favorite movie! I completely identify with Murray Burns and, like him, have often been unable to cope with the harness of regular employment.

7. "Father Goose"...Cary Grant as a malcontent who has retired to the South Seas to escape humanity. He's a lot like Murray Burns. Am I hitting on a theme here?

8. "Good Morning Vietnam"... Yep, it's a theme! Another wise ass malcontent...but he's damn funny.

9. "Wonder Boys"... A feel good movie that is also very funny.

10. "Scent of a Woman"...Great cast; wonderful story with a terrific message.

11. "Kingpin"...How many screamingly funny bowling movies are there?? They have got to have this one running in a continuous loop at the Bowling Hall of Fame.

12. "Radio Days"...I love all of Woody Allen's movies, but this one is a valentine to the golden age of radio.

13. "Prairie Home Companion"...Another great tribute movie to the radio business.

14. "Saving Private Ryan"...A must see for all of us who live in a free America because of the sacrifice of the brave men and women who won World War II.

15. Anything from W. C. Fields or the Marx Brothers. If they don't make you laugh, it's time to check in to the Mahogany Hilton.









No comments: