Friday, February 15, 2019

Good News Warms a Dad's Heart


There are many kinds of awards.  Some are dubious and can more accurately be described as recognition we could do without.  You know, booby prizes.  Here in north Idaho we're just a couple of inches away from topping a 1935 record for snowfall in the month of February.  A definite wintertime booby prize.  At the halfway mark of the month we are slogging through more than 30 inches of new ice cold fluffy white hell.  Enough already!  We give up.  Even the dogs don't like it.  Their paws are cold and finding a fire hydrant in this weather has become nearly as impossible as finding an honest politician.
Over here boy!  Look, no waiting.

As of right now the white stuff is scheduled to keep falling through the weekend and I'm running low on Cheetos and potato chips.  Just as I was about to stick my head in the oven I received a text from my daughter Kelly telling me that she and her husband, Pavol Liska, just learned that a film they produced and directed has won the International Film Critics Forum award for best picture at the Berlin International Film Festival.  "Die Kinder der Toten" was a labor of love created with an all European cast under the auspices Kelly and Pavol's New York City based company the Nature Theater of Oklahoma.  Obviously this makes up for the Cheetos and chip shortage here on the tundra.  I'm very proud of the little girl who came into my life 48 years ago last week.  She has worked hard in a business that chews up more people than it rewards.

Now, maybe she can hop a plane to Coeur D' Alene and help me shovel.   I'd like to get it cleared by June.







No comments: