Friday, October 10, 2014

Thinking Out Loud

The thought that occurs to me as we continue to unpack from our move is this:  Where did we get all this crap and why did we bring it with us?  You'd think that people who have moved as often as my wife and I would be much better at discarding items we no longer need.  As I packed for the move there was an ever present "maybe we'll need this one day" regarding much of the garage paraphernalia.  Now I find myself with garage shelving plans from my newest dependant, the cabinet guy.  The good news is that the floor of my office is finally visible and my desk is only weeks away from being useful.

Yesterday we both passed our tests for Idaho drivers licenses and got new plates for both cars.  The cost was roughly 25% of what we had been paying for registration in California and our insurance has been cut in half.  We may actually be making money on this deal.  There was NO wait at the DMV either and a couple of sweet ladies to say, "Welcome to Idaho".

In the paper a couple of days ago there was a story regarding the human brain and a GPS-like function that enables people to produce mental maps to navigate the world.  A husband and wife team, Ed and May-Britt Moser won the Nobel Prize for their findings.  I find myself anxious to check out some of their work as I am fairly certain that this human GPS system has a glitch or two in the female brain.  It has been my observation that most guys can find their way around places much faster and more efficiently than the majority of women.  Granted I base this on a very small sample of empirical evidence observed by listening to my wife ask me multiple times what street we're on and which direction we are headed.  I also am father to at least one daughter who needs to drop bread crumbs to find her way home from her job as an attorney.  I think women have a defective gyroscope.  

And, since I have wondered into ditzy dame land…A BIG "Happy Birthday" to my longtime radio partner in crime, Cynthia Heath-Kerrigan.  She was, and still is, not only daffy and delightful as ever but since retiring from radio has found her bliss lending an able hand to the marketing department of a San Diego winery.  In the words of her husband, Sgt. Rock, " The rabbit truly has entered the lettuce patch."  Cynthia made showing up for work at an ungodly hour more fun than it should have been and she always made me laugh.  I think our bosses hated us for having real fun while we collected a paycheck.  

Coeur d' Alene continues to amaze Linda and me.  As we settle in it feels more right every day.  I can think of no place I'd rather be at this time of life.  I miss old friends and family but we have a couple of guest rooms and a sunset or two that will make you want to find a realtor.  Should that be the case, we have one next door.


Sunset on Lakeshore Drive Coeur D Alene, Idaho

No comments: