Friday, May 27, 2011

Finding Big Jim Ryan

The Cliffs of Moher


I guess they would have called him "Big Jim".  From the pictures I've seen, he looks a lot like President William Howard Taft--you know, 'big-boned'.  
James Ryan was my great grandfather on my paternal grandmother's side.  I wish now that I had paid more attention when grandma Copper spoke of her father. I remember that he emigrated from the Killarney area of Ireland sometime in the mid eighteen-hundreds and became an entrepreneur in the small village of New Holland, Illinois.  He had a hardware store and also sold Banner Buggies in the days before Henry Ford's marvelous invention.  But, that's all I know.  When you're a kid it never occurs to you that your own family's history might be important and now I'm full of questions.
Ryan's Pub in Cobh (a relative? a discount?)


The "walls" are everywhere.  Here a workman toils in Cork.
We are wrapping up our first time visit  to the Emerald Isle and there is much that surprises me.  The beauty I expected; the diversity of the landscape and the people I did not.  It's amazing how critical the destiny and personality of a country are tied to both.   
The Irish people have overcome conquest, starvation, and a climate that gives new meaning to the adjective mercurial.  Some saw a better future in America.  My great grandfather was one of those hardy souls.  Now I want to know how he came to leave Killarney and why he chose central Illinois to start anew in the United States.  With the Internet at my disposal I aim to find out more as soon as I unpack.

"The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change and the realist adjusts his sails."  (unknown)
It seems that many Irish realists found a home in America.

Surfing cows?  Agriculture is Ireland's number one industry; tourism is second.

1 comment:

Joe Again said...

Seems that New Holland, Illinois is and ideal place to disappear to if you were running from the law. Most of the more well known Ryans here in Illinois were/are politicians which is Gaelic for crook. Some are even convicted.