Thursday, December 17, 2009

Seems Like Only Yesterday


It's always easy for me to remember.
I didn't plan it , but the shortest day of the year is more than slightly significant to me.
December 21, 1999 I received a call that changed everything. It was my doctor telling me that it was way past time for me to leave the party I had been attending for the past thirty years.
"Mr. Copper you need to stop drinking NOW."
To give you an idea of how far down the road I was, my response was: "Oh, okay...just beer and wine right?"
"NO!", the doctor suggested. "You need to quit drinking altogether."
Everyone acts as if his or her life is unique. As we get older we find that our lives are sort of generic and that many others have been provided one of the same handful of story lines available to all humans. Yes sir, lots of company on the old "nothing exceeds like excess" train. I'm just happy to be counted among the number who "passed the bar".
Often I think of what I might have accomplished if I had spent more time working on my career and personal relationships instead of squandering hours in saloons with other dipsomaniacs. I did hear some pretty good jokes and managed to participate in some outrageous adventures that will provide entertaining stories for years to come, but nothing more. Like Gertrude Stein said of Oakland, "There is no there...there." (Having worked in Oakland, I can vouch for that fine analogy.)
But, no regrets. I am thrilled to have had the past ten years and to have made some amends. My wife is still with me; the kids have done well and now I have a fine new grandson to play with. (There should be at least a five year window before he outgrows me.) The world is spinning in greased grooves, thank you very much.
And, that's just fine with me.
Ten years.
"It seems like only yesterday
I gazed through the glass
At ramblers, wild gamblers
That's all in the past" ---Steely Dan "Deacon Blues"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ofyhaqoki.kogaryu.com/isilus.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich