Thursday, November 26, 2009

One Thankful Pilgrim

It's time to kick back.
I got the turkey on the Weber at the right time and now the pressure is off.
Well, mostly off....
Linda will be bugging me for the next three hours demanding to know exactly when the turkey will reach smokey deliciousness and, since no two charcoal fires are the same, I will give her the usual "I don't have any idea". She, like all women, thinks it's important for everything to come together at the same time for Thanksgiving dinner. And, like ALL other guys, I couldn't care less. Left to our own devices, virtually all of us males would eat everything over the sink and wipe our hands on the drapes....but I digress. What time is the first football game???


For years our family ate seafood at Thanksgiving because we found turkey to be no big treat. We all loved fish and it worked out just fine. That all changed when a friend introduced us to the wonder of hickory smoked turkey. WOW! We've been busy with the Weber kettle ever since.


While the turkey sizzles I'll take a few moments to reflect on what a lucky guy like me is thankful for this year:

First of all, great friends. You can never have enough of them.



TIVO has to be right up there. I haven't viewed an entire ShamWow commercial since Mitch got his ass kicked by some chick in Miami. When Billy Mays caught the "big bus" I had to remind myself who he was. (Hadn't seen one of his idiotic pitches in years.)

I'm thankful that Linda doesn't make me watch the Macy's parade on TV. Not only do I hate crap like that it's also extremely frightening to realize that the only participant in the parade that I recognize anymore is Kermit the Frog. Who the hell are those nitwits singing on the floats??

I'm really thankful that America has a great bunch of patriotic kids in uniform keeping us all safe. We need them now more than ever.

I'm very grateful that my family is healthy and prosperous. Both daughters married well and have successful careers of their own.
Also, thanks to my brother and his wife and the nuns at St. Joseph's Home, my mom is well taken care of in her 89th year.


This afternoon grandson Dan, now six weeks old, arrives for his first Thanksgiving and he is smiling for friendly faces these days. I hope he has saved one for me.


"Yesterday unborn; tomorrow dead......why fret if life be sweet."
Groucho Marx











No comments: