Saturday, July 12, 2008

Slap Leather and Don't Annoy Me

This calls for drastic action.
It has GOT TO STOP!

It's mostly TV's bodacious news babes, in fact I don't think I've heard one of the male empty news suits do it yet, but it's coming. I refer, of course, to the incessant overkill of....(drum roll)
"Thank you SO much."
Not "thank you", that apparently isn't enough. NO, when wrapping up a report or finishing an interview the anchor must now say: "Thank you SO much."

I really hate to call this to your attention because now it will drive you nuts. They do it ALL THE TIME.
Since when is a simple thank you not enough? Why must the SO be shoehorned in there? It's not needed and it's really starting to piss me off.

It would be tons more fun is if the close out went something like this: "Nice report Bob. Now, get out...DIE!" Or, how about: "Thanks Sue. Where's the fifty bucks I floated you last month?" At least it would be different and not so damn phony.

Since I'm venting, here's another one I'm hearing way more often from seemingly intelligent people: "He's out the house." Instead of saying "He's out of the house" it's just..."out the house". Last week in a network interview a woman who looked educated and affluent said this: "It looks like our house is safe from the fires, but all it would take is someone throwing a cigarette out the car..." I guess excising the "of the" allowed her more time to pack up the good dishes before getting out of Dodge.

Sorry for the Mr. Persnickety Pants diatribe, but I feel better now and that's the important thing.
Also, this one gave me a chance to use that really cool Richard Boone shot from "Have Gun, Will Travel".
I'm sure old Paladin would thank me for the plug but, he's OUT THE HOUSE.


No comments: