Friday, January 20, 2017

Behind Enemy Lines

Sorry, Kelly

Both of our daughters have interrupted their lives to help us as their mom continues her fight with cancer.  Katie, the youngest, just yesterday returned to her family and job in San Diego. This was her third trip north to either Seattle or Coeur d' Alene to help with doctor appointments, cooking, cleaning and all the other chore that become overwhelming when a family member takes a hit to their health.  Kelly--pictured above--is with us now having left her husband and business in New York City to lend a hand.  Two sweeter more caring kids neither of us could have imagined or hoped for.  Thanks to them Linda's radiation and infusion treatments have gone smoothly and successfully.  We now dare hope that lymphoma may soon be an unpleasant distant memory.

Having spent the past couple of decades in New York,  Kelly is a flaming liberal who is still in shock regarding the Trump presidential victory.  I'm fairly certain we are the only Republicans she knows and I'm guessing she probably has never shared this information with a single east coast friend.  Spending time in the "real" America here in the Idaho panhandle feels to her like being trapped behind enemy lines.  It's not unlike how her mother and I felt the last few years of our time in California.  Here in "God's Country" Democrats are in witness protection.  A neighbor told me shortly after we arrived that the Republicans could run a stump against a Democrat and win the election.  When I heard that I knew we'd found a home.

To Kelly and my very few, but treasured, Democratic friends I offer the same advice you gave me eight years ago.  We won.  Give the guy a chance.  If he screws up you can wag your finger and say I told you so for the rest of your life but right now shut up and wish your president a successful run.  In the words of our Commander-in-Chief: "What have you got to lose?"

Kelly?  Kelly?
Where did she go?


No comments: