Friday, August 22, 2014

We Need More Guys Like Cy

When I began writing this blog more than seven years ago it was for two reasons:  It cost me nothing and it provided an outlet for the snakes in my head that no longer found release via the radio.  A bonus I never anticipated was re-connecting with long lost friends.  The Internet may have driven a stake through the heart of a number of industries, radio most certainly, but it has given us all a wonderful new way of keeping in touch.  Folks that long ago dropped off our radar can be discovered again and their friendship polished and renewed.  I love it!

Recently I heard from an old boss of mine, Randy Jeffery.  When my hitch in the Army was up in 1973, Randy was just about the only radio station owner willing to give me a chance at returning to the business I loved.  After blanketing the country with a rather thin resume' and a less than satisfactory audition tape, I heard from maybe three or four radio stations; Randy's was one of them.  He called me from Winter Haven, Florida where he owned and operated WSIR. Though only in his very early thirties, he had gone from disc jockey to manager and ultimately to ownership.   Apparently he saw some potential in me and, with more nerve than talent or brains, I walked through the door he so generously opened.  Soon I was hosting the morning show on what was probably the best sounding small market radio station in America.  WSIR was a fun, highly produced facility that, thanks to Randy, was a great training ground for many who went on to major market careers.  Excellence was the touchstone of the operation from the jingles to the big city sound of the commercials, news and on air presentation.  He definitely had a gift for nurturing and encouraging talent, both on and off the air.  What I learned at WSIR made my move up the ladder to Tampa-St. Petersburg and WDAE an easy one.  

Randy sold WSIR several years ago and became a media broker--one of the most successful in the history of radio and TV.  He managed many deals, made a lot of money, retired early and is currently in the process of building his dream home in Charleston, South Carolina.  While building the Charleston home he came to know a young man named Cy White.  Cy and his family inspired Randy to write the following email to me last week.  It moved me a great deal and I asked my old boss if I might share it with readers of my blog.  He has graciously complied.


Randy wrote:

"A product called NanaWall is being installed this weekend by Cy, whose weekday job is as an active duty MP with the National Guard at Ft. Jackson in Columbia, SC. On every "off-duty" weekend he moonlights in NC/SC as the sole and highly skilled installer of this complex German-built folding glass wall.
He's working on what will soon be our home, with his wife and two young, home schooled children helping him.  They are with him every weekend.  Between the Guard and NanaWall, he has no "day off".  After spending time with the four of them last night, I realized again what a sheltered world we live in.
Cy recently completed an eighteen month tour of duty at Guantanamo Bay.  He was exposed to the five terrorists Obama exchanged for our one military captive.  Cy told us one of those terrorists was known to have masterminded the beheading of women and children and personally participated in the heinous acts on numerous occasions.  I spent four cushy years in the Air Force, stationed 15 miles from San Francisco and later in the foothills of the Siskiyou mountains in Northern California.  I moonlighted as a DJ in Yreka, California.  Cy has spent 15 years in the Guard, much of it in combat areas in the midst of the worst people in the world.  We read about and see on TV the horrors of war and those in service who have our backs 24/7.  We rarely have a moment to spend quality time with them.  We had that honor last night.
Kim and I have spent 30 years in a country club environment.  We drive luxury cars, fly first class, eat in the best restaurants and have "cushy" lives.  More important and--knock on wood--we live in a safe, protected country made possible, in large measure, because of incredibly brave and dedicated professionals like Cy White.  Although he cannot stand more than 5' 9", it was apparent how much bigger he is than I.
He's getting a bonus from us later today.  Not because of the installation that I know will be done with military precision, but because he is a quiet, unassuming 36 year old guy who believes that every day he puts on his uniform and reports for duty, he is doing a really tough job for lousy pay that he believes is his calling and obligation.  What an honor it is to know he has a hand in the building of our home and how much better my myopic little world is because of him."

The Cy White family

Thanks Randy for reminding us that there still are young folks like Cy and his family who continue to make us proud and keep us focused on life's important components.  Someone once said,  "Riches are what money can't buy and death can't take away."   Cy White is a rich man indeed and we are a far better country because of brave men like him.  To remain "the land of the free"  we must treasure, support and encourage this most rare natural American resource.

No comments: