Friday, June 7, 2013

Feeling Lucky

I'm lucky.  If you're honest you most likely realize that you are too.  Of course there are times when things don't seem to be going as planned, but it's all relative and we accept it.  Most of life's important stuff has a way of working out.

This week my wife and I had a chance to tour Rady Children's Hospital here in San Diego.  It is nationally recognized as a fine facility and we're fortunate to have it.  For several years I had broadcast my radio show from the hospital during annual fund raising events and ever since we have been donors.  It was wonderful to see some of the fantastic new additions that have been made during the past few years.  Both of us came away from the tour feeling exceedingly glad to have helped in a small way and lucky that neither of our kids had ever needed the the hospital.   Also,  we were hopeful that our grandson would advance to adulthood without ever seeing Rady's interior.

Naturally,  as we walked the wards we saw many kids and their families who have not been blessed with good health.  The cancer patients, accident victims, and kids awaiting transplants are heartbreaking to see.  Nobody, especially a kid, deserves to be dealt such a hand.  Their families deserve better too, not that they are inclined to complain.  The strength of character and the optimism of most all of them is inspiring to see.  They don't want pity, they simply want to be "normal" again.
As I mentioned, I'm feeling lucky.  I just spent the day at Legoland with my grandson Dan and had a terrific time but couldn't help thinking about the kids and families I saw earlier this week.  All I can do is enjoy my good fortune and donate whenever I can.

No doubt there is a children's hospital somewhere near you.  See if you can share your luck.  Write 'em a check and help a kid.  You'll feel good about it.  Come on, you're feeling lucky.



No comments: