Friday, May 23, 2008

A Bargain Baby

She cost $3.75.
That was the tab at Irwin Army Hospital when we settled up and took her home.

Katie Dee Copper, (Katie Diepholz these days), was born an Army brat 35 years ago today at Fort Riley, Kansas. In those days I was making sure that no commies invaded Kansas , and, so far as anyone knows, they didn't. Plus, my wife and I got to keep this cool kid.

Katie is our youngest and that makes me...OLD. I'll admit there were times during her high school years that the $3.75 price tag didn't seem like such a swell deal, but we all survived.
She, like her older sister, has done well. She is a successful attorney who spends her days working as an advocate for kids who mostly don't have any money and desperately need her help. She goes after deadbeat dads and prosecutes them into co-operation or...jail. A worthy endeavor.
She picked out a good husband too. Doug is a little weird, but then so is Katie. They're both "milk out your nose" funny and that appeals to me.

Her older sister is more in the spotlight. Kelly and her husband Pavol are the founders of their own theater company in New York City and just last week won their first Obie Award. I don't think that anyone, other than her mother and I, was more proud or excited about that than Katie. She's that way. (She will be embarrassed that I'm bragging about her. Tough!)

When I reflect on accomplishments, or lack of same in my life, there are many that I would rather not acknowledge. Voting for Ross Perot comes to mind...also, thinking that blabbing on the radio for nearly forty years was a good idea. Oh well, no "do overs" are allowed, last I heard.
Having kids, however, was a fine idea. Who knew that getting Linda loaded could pay such dandy dividends?!!

Kids are well worth the effort, especially when you can get them for only $3.75.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!
Please remember to pick out a kick ass nursing home for mommy and daddy.
We DID lay out $3.75.

No comments: