Friday, October 14, 2016

Taking a Cruise



That's what we've decided to call it.  A "cruise" sounds a ton better than going back to the hospital, but that's where we're headed.  

Linda's cancer returned in August and has proven itself both resilient and deceptive.  Even after last year's stem cell transplant the lymphoma that has tried to mess with her for the past three years keeps coming back for more.  This ugly bastard should have talked to me.  This woman is the definition of relentless and indefatigable!  For forty-eight years she has put up with my seemingly inexhaustible supply of bullshit and won't quit until I've been fixed.  (Those who know me realize this is a fool's errand that demands at least another fifty years.  Please don't tell her.)

Beginning next week we return to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance where Linda will be a patient in their CAR-T cell program.  It is a new form of therapy involving the body's immune system that you're welcome to Google for a more detailed explanation.  Simply put, it is a program that withdraws T cells from the body and "re-educates" them to attack cancer cells.  It's very new but so far has proven quite successful in fighting leukemia, so much so that doctors feel comfortable in its ability to be equally effective on lymphoma, especially the large B cell variety that has chosen to go after Linda.  We have high hopes.

It dawned on me a couple of weeks back that what began as a feeble attempt to sweep some of the snakes from the attic of my mind--this blog--has gone on for nearly ten years.  When radio jobs went away there was no place to go with this nonsense except right here.  The web was free and it stopped me from talking to myself in the driveway for four hours every morning.  Actually, I would have kept on doing that but the neighbors called the cops.  So here I am.  Just about the time I think I should quit inflicting this on the unsuspecting I hear from an old friend or former radio reprobate reminding me of a tale or two that can now stand the light of day and I decide to just keep typing.  So, for now, I will.  I'll try to be diligent in filing these usually light-hearted ramblings during the next few weeks but, if they become sporadic, you'll know it's only because we're on a cruise.

Linda resting and wishing I wasn't taking her picture during a recent walk..

No comments: