Friday, February 14, 2014

Snow? Now, In MY Day...

Cold, wet, gray, ahh…winter!
I don't know what all the fuss is about.  When I was a wee tad of a lad living on the frozen tundra that is the upper Midwest we had snow every winter--LOTS of it.

My brother and I would be driven from our warm beds each weekday morning to shovel out dad's car so that he could hit the road early.  We bitched and moaned through clenched frostbitten teeth as we heaved the hideous icy wetness aside.  About half of each payload would blow back in our faces as we swore oaths to never ever live in a place so godawful miserable.  Iowa snow was the worst.  Every year we received somewhere in excess of eighty inches from Satan's deep freeze.  Our morning shoveling would usually last until we made it home from school and were required yet again to take up arms against the beast so that dad could wheel into the driveway in time for supper.  
Is it any wonder that I headed for warmer climes the instant the opportunity presented itself?  

I have now lived apart from real winter weather since 1973 and don't miss it for a minute.  Maybe that distance from mittens, overcoats, boots and all that icy weather is why I am frankly surprised at the general pantywaist response to this season's harshness by folks who frankly are getting what's coming to them.  Every day I see countless Americans whining and complaining about how horrible the weather is and how they've "never seen snow and cold like this."
My response?  Shut the hell up and NUT UP!  No more sniveling!  It can't be as bad as when I was a boy.  Back then we took a face full of snow and came back for more!

Now, if you'll excuse me, the door to the patio just blew open.  It's down to 79 in my backyard.  I need to find a sweater.  I wonder if I have enough wood for the fireplace.
Oh the humanity!
My brother and I could have used one of these back in the 60's.


No comments: