Friday, May 24, 2013

Happy 40th Baby Girl!

There were times,  mainly the high school years, when I wanted to send her to reform school.  She has always been a firecracker and yesterday, she turned 40.  FORTY!!  How the hell did that happen?  My youngest daughter, Katie, now has four decades in her rear view mirror and that officially makes me, uh…OLD. 

I still remember seeing her freshly hatched and screaming her head off at me and everyone else within range of Irwin Army Hospital.  Soon she was dragging a blanket around and saying pretty amusing things for just a little squirt; then she was off to college.  It really did seem to go that fast.  Now she is a successful lawyer, wife and mom to her own little knothead, Dan.  

Weirdo parents that we are, my wife and I raised both Katie and her sister Kelly on Three Stooges, W.C. Fields and Mel Brooks movies.  However, Kate was the only one who memorized every line of "Blazing Saddles".  Multiple family moves required by the itinerant broadcast business contributed even more insanity to her less than traditional upbringing.  In spite of it all, or maybe because of it, at  40 Katie is a pretty doggone wonderful daughter.

Enjoy it while you can kid!  Soon Dan will be bringing home notes from the teacher, breaking stuff and eventually wrecking your car as Grandpa and Grandma watch through the prism of "been there, done that".

So. happy birthday Katie Dee!  You give me outright prolonged laughter and I in turn give you fatherly advice.  My gift to you on your fortieth is as follows:

Forget attempting to get into the movies with a student I.D.  Nobody will buy it.

Love, 
Dad

Katie laughs as Dan digs for brains.
Katie and Dan



Katie, Dan and Goofy husband Doug. (Sorry Doug I can't help myself.)

No comments: